A positive attitude is essential to productivity in the workplace. Machines do not run a business; the people operating them run it. If the person behind the keyboard doesn’t want to type a financial statement, neither does the computer. Life is as tied-in to the workplace as are the desks in the cubicles and the coffee machine in the employees’ lounge, and life brews a lot of bitter coffee. An employee having a bad day is dangerous – it’s like an endemic of the flu. They work slower, they complain a lot, and negative energy is airborne and infectious. Co-workers can feel it in the atmosphere; maybe they’ll join in on the melancholy and suddenly have issues of their own. Here are some ways to brighten everyone’s day:
- Laughter: If bad days are the disease, laughter is the antidote. Even a moping man will forget his troubles if you can make him chuckle. On a clear mind, his productivity in the workplace is as uplifted as he is.
- Smile: Show those pearly whites. Smiling is the universal expression of happiness and it creates a positive force around you. Smile at the employee with his head in his hands, he’ll appreciate the gesture. Not an instant result, but he’ll warm up to it.
- Be polite: Taught to everyone as a child, but difficult to maintain into adulthood sometimes. Manners can be forgotten so easily, but everyone understands that a “please” and “thank you” can go far. Try it and you’ll find that an environment filled with nice words is more comfortable to work in. A mind stressed with problems can relax in a polite environment and productivity in the workplace goes up. The f’s and d’s will disappear under a cover of “good mornings.”
There is a good side in everyone, however deeply buried it is under the mounds of problems that life creates. Digging it out keeps employees motivated to work and ensures great productivity in the workplace.
To learn more on Andy’s programs pick up the phone and call us today.
Latest posts by Andy Core (see all)
- Achieving Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness - February 28, 2014
- How to: Fight Food Cravings without Going Crazy - February 21, 2014
- The Importance of Work-Life Balance for Increased Workplace Productivity - January 23, 2014