Andy Core is an expert in Work-Life Balance, Well Being and Peak Human Performance.
When speaking in public, there are things a professional speaker needs to take into account before delivering a successful speech. Following are five of the most important ones to remember:
- Acquire an in-depth knowledge about the subject and theme of the speech. To be able to successfully deliver a speech, a professional speaker must know what (s)he is talking about. Prepare yourself for possible questions from the audience. Try to counter-argue your own argument if you are about to deliver a persuasive speech. The amount of preparation before a speech is strongly related to success or failure.
- Know and understand your audience. Knowing whom you are addressing is vital when wording and constructing your message. For example, for an audience comprised of educated elite, your speech would need to be much different than it would be if you were addressing the average “Joe.”
- Practice your speech as much as possible. Practicing your speech is as important as preparing your material. Be creative when you practice, read aloud, use anything that helps you remain calm, and focused on the task. Ask for evaluative feedback from friends and family.
- Arrive early at the place where the speech is going to take place and try to get a feeling of your surroundings. Take the time to prepare all of your presentation aids before the speech commences in order to get rid of unnecessary stress factors that can hinder your speech.
- Remember to breathe slowly and deeply. When very stressed one’s breath becomes shallow and rapid. You need to be aware of your breath because through deep and slow breathing you can override your rising stress levels and become relaxed. When relaxed you will be in control of the situation, but remember: being relaxed does not equate to being passive. A professional speaker always remains calm, but passionate about their speech.
To learn more about Andy’s programs come and see our website.
Latest posts by Andy Core (see all)
- Achieving Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness - February 28, 2014
- How to: Fight Food Cravings without Going Crazy - February 21, 2014
- The Importance of Work-Life Balance for Increased Workplace Productivity - January 23, 2014