Andy Core is an expert in Work-Life Balance, Well Being and Peak Human Performance.
Convention speakers really capture their audience with what they’re saying. Is it their vocabulary? Maybe the way they dress? Perhaps it’s simply because they’re good looking? Convention speakers have their own techniques for getting the crowd’s attention and making them believe what they say. Public speaking is an art and should be treated as such. Learning how to woo a crowd takes years of experience, but here’s a few things to get you started:
- Project your voice: There are probably a lot of people attending your speech – your crowd. You won’t always have a microphone, so it’s important that you project your voice all the way to the back so that everyone is on the same page.
- Speak clearly: They can’t just hear you; they have to understand you, as well. Don’t slur; proper diction is important when you want to get your point across.
- Emphasize key words: This is to show importance in that term. Emphasizing key words is a technique for getting the crowd to remember the idea of your speech.
- Explore the stage: Staring at one spot for the whole duration of a speech is boring and members of the crowd might be tempted to look away after a while. Move around so their eyes have something to track.
- Move your hands: Make expressions that go along with what you say. It catches attention and keeps the crowd interested in you.
Becoming a great public speaker doesn’t happen over night, so it’s good to grab all the opportunities you can get to practice before a real audience and accumulate experience. Before you know it, these techniques will become natural and you’ll be just as charismatic as other convention speakers.
For more information on Andy’s programs, contact us today.
Latest posts by Andy Core (see all)
- Achieving Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness - February 28, 2014
- How to: Fight Food Cravings without Going Crazy - February 21, 2014
- The Importance of Work-Life Balance for Increased Workplace Productivity - January 23, 2014