Andy Core is an expert in Work-Life Balance, Well Being and Peak Human Performance
Ever find it difficult to engage an audience with your speech? Do you feel like your talks are missing that certain something? Professional speakers swear by the following pieces of advice:
- Take care of your appearance. Not only will people be more willing to trust someone who looks well turned out and professional, but it will make you feel more relaxed and confident.
- Become familiar with your surroundings. Take a look at the venue of your speech, get to know how the overhead display, computer hook-ups and sound system works (if you will be using these) and anything else to prevent unexpected events!
- Know what you’re talking about and practice it! Do your research and know exactly what you are going to say. Being prepared is the best way to feel relaxed and confident.
- Know your audience. Target your speech correctly, know when using humor is appropriate or when a more serious approach is required. Correct targeting will mean that your audience will respond better to what you say.
- Pace yourself. Take a deep breath and go slowly. There is no such thing as too slowly! Everyone suffers from fast-talking when it comes to public speaking so just take it easy.
- Make eye contact. Looking at the floor is a no go and whilst occasionally glancing at notes is fine, it should be avoided for an extended periods. People trust people who look them in the eye, so go for it!
For more information on Andy’s programs