Andy Core is an expert in Work-Life Balance, Well Being and Peak Human Performance.
Productivity in the workplace can be bettered by just moving the furniture around a bit. Think to yourself, “Is the workplace designed for efficiency? Is the environment healthy for the employees?” The workplace plays a very subtle, but important role in how fast employees work and their personal health. Small variables like proper decoration and sunlight can add up and play a huge part in productivity. Furthermore, an inefficient and gloomy environment could severely demoralize employees.
Things to look for:
- Is there enough sunlight? The Sun’s radiance is very uplifting and provides a brighter atmosphere. On the flip side, working in the darkness is just depressing. A little more sunlight could make everyone feel better.
- Is there proper ventilation? Musty air is repulsive and unhealthy. Taking in too much causes headaches and that’s debilitating to the point that your employees can barely focus on their work.
- Are all of the employees’ needs in a convenient location? Getting up to go to the copy-machine at the far side of the room over and over again for the sake of your tasks is a tiring experience. Make sure key equipment is in locations easily accessible by everyone.
- Is the employees’ furniture comfortable? With the way that people sit at computers, it gets very painful for the back and shoulders. Computer chairs with an adjustable back and height are important for giving employees a comfortable working space.
- Do the workplace decorations encourage healthy living? Plastic plants are hassle free, but just don’t give the same feeling as live plants. Get some real plants in the workplace; they create fresh oxygen for free. Remember, healthy living is essential to productivity in the workplace.
Many of the things we see as trivial can actually make a big difference when changed. For example, placing a desk to face away from the exit of the workplace has a psychological effect on the employee. Design the workplace to be logical and improve productivity in the workplace by improving efficiency.
For more information about Andy’s work-life balance programs, click the button below.
Latest posts by Andy Core (see all)
- Achieving Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness - February 28, 2014
- How to: Fight Food Cravings without Going Crazy - February 21, 2014
- The Importance of Work-Life Balance for Increased Workplace Productivity - January 23, 2014